Username: Password:

Author Topic: Engraved pickup cover? And uncertain about pup choice  (Read 923 times)

MarkG

• Strawweight
Engraved pickup cover? And uncertain about pup choice
« on: March 24, 2011, 02:55:38 PM »
First post here, unfortunately with two questions. I've used EMGs for most of my guitar playing career, but I now want something with more life and fullness to them. As such I'm about to place an order for a BKP bridge pickup. It will be for 80s, and modern metal in a mahogany body maple top guitar. Think Def Leppard, Skid Row, Ratt, as well as modern tones such as As I Lay Dying.

Right now I'm undecided between the Miracle Man (supposedly a more organic EMG sound), Alnico Nailbomb (supposedly most versatile) and the Holy Diver (best for 80s?).

Anyway, I listened to the clips and it seems they all have their redeeming qualities, and I'm not entirely sure which would best suit my guitar wood. Any insight you could offer would be much appreciated!

Second, I would combine it with a SD Jazz in the neck, gold covered. I want to get the BKP with a gold cover, engraved with the following symbol:

Would that be possible? I fear it might be too detailed.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 02:57:52 PM by MarkG »

Transcend

Re: Engraved pickup cover? And uncertain about pup choice
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 03:24:44 PM »
im not sure about the engraving but i would say miracle man all the way for what you want or maybe cold sweat which is a bit tamer but can still crank it up.

Regarding the engraving

it will turn out really tiny if you want to keep it in proportion... keep this in consideration

WezV

• Middleweight
    • http://wezvenables.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 04:48:13 PM »
best to speak to tim about the engraving, i know its been done for some but i think it involves you supplying the right file type/size.

MarkG

• Strawweight
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 09:10:12 AM »
I don't think I'll do the engraving anymore, I found someone else who makes custom pickup covers and I rather like his work. Would have gotten them from Tim, but he doesn't sell just pickup covers.

Any other thoughts regarding pickup options?

darkbluemurder

• Welterweight
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 10:32:34 AM »
BKP bridge pickup. It will be for 80s, and modern metal in a mahogany body maple top guitar. Think Def Leppard, Skid Row, Ratt, as well as modern tones such as As I Lay Dying.

Right now I'm undecided between the Miracle Man (supposedly a more organic EMG sound), Alnico Nailbomb (supposedly most versatile) and the Holy Diver (best for 80s?).

Hi,

welcome to the forum!

I believe you cannot go wrong with any of these. I have them all in different guitars and all sound excellent. Actually all 3 pickups sit in mahogany/maple topped guitars. I have never played EMGs so I have no idea of how close they are e.g. to the Miracle Man. As regards the tonal color going from warm to bright I would rate the pickups as follows:

Holydiver: warmest of the 3
Nailbomb: in between
Miracle Man: brightest, clearest of the 3, most metal sounding

BTW what amp are you playing through?

Cheers Stephan
HD set, HD b, MiM b, VHII n, CS set, CR set, AB set, RY set, BD set, BD b, CR b, SH b, RR n

MarkG

• Strawweight
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 04:01:53 PM »

Thanks for the insight Stefan, I'm playing through an ENGLe530 > Mesa 50:50 > 2x12 V30 rig, so it has the ENGL tight and brightness and a mesa low mid growl to it. Pretty nice combination, but it is exceptionally tight.

Eric Hellstyle

• Welterweight
    • Colidium
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 07:30:32 PM »
I'd pick the diver, maybe a cold sweat instead

whatever you choose, you may miss the EMG output and compression till you get used to BKP's, which are not as high output as most of the other brands high output models (x2n, 500t, dirty fingers, sh-6, sh-8, tremonti...)
Riff Raff, Mules, Black Dog, VHII's, Cold Sweat